In just a few short days, we will begin the 2017 BJHS Marching Band season! Instruments may be checked out and forms turned in on Sunday, July 16 and Band Camp begins at 8AM on Monday, July 17! Click Band Camp Schedule to download the complete schedule.
- Physicals are due on the first day of band camp. If you got yours through the school, we have it already. All done by an outside physician need to be brought to school for our records. You will not be allowed to participate if your required physical form has not been completed by a physician and turned in. The form can be downloaded here: Physical Form
- Parents who are planning to chaperone or serve on logistics team need to be background checked for the 2017-18 school year. A link to this can be found here (https://bib.com/secureVolunteer/Madison-City-Schools/). This process can take time to approve so just a heads up before school gets started. Any questions can be sent to Kathy McDaniel, chaperone chair (email@example.com).
- There are several things to buy during band camp. Please check what applies to you and be prepared to purchase those idea at this time. Pay close attention to when your uniform fitting is, as payment as due for various items depending on your situation. Returning members: We will inspect your compression gear and jersey from last year. Be prepared to buy new if not in satisfactory condition.
- Color Guard and Dance Team: Check with your directors/coaches regarding changes in your particular schedule, as it differs from the wind/percussion schedule slightly.
- Fall scheduling considerations: I have attached as many dates as we know currently regarding football games, competitions, additional rehearsals, and other performances. Please go ahead and fill out your calendars NOW! Also check back on the online calendar on Charms or on this site at https://bjhsband.com/calendar/. There are also instructions to subscribe to the band calendar so you can have easy access to it on your phone. All rehearsals and performances are MANDATORY (Yes—even during fall break!). Here is a reminder of approved excuses:
School Board Approved Excuses
- Personal illness of student (doctor/parent note must be provided)
- Death in the immediate family
- Inclement weather dangerous to life or health of student (determined by administration)
- Legal quarantine
- Emergency conditions (determined by administration or directors)
- Other event/condition previously approved by directors
We expect our students to be responsible, on time, prepared, and give 100% effort, not only throughout camp but throughout the season and the entire year. Remember your three friends during band camp: BREAKFAST, SUNSCREEN, AND WATER.
Be sure to get out and get some exercise and get acclimated to the heat. Marching band is a physically demanding activity!
STUDENTS: Use your leadership team as a source of information if you have any questions. Music and Drill will be posted on this site under https://bjhsband.com/music-and-drill/. Be sure to download and practice! Music and drill will continue to be uploaded throughout the week, so check back and make sure to read through as much as you can before Monday morning.
RETURNING MEMBERS: Make sure you have your fundamentals packet from last year. You will not receive another copy. It can still be found on the website.
Band Camp Schedule (printable pdf)
Band Camp Requirements
- 1 Gallon, insulated water jug, labelled with you name
Water is essential to band member safety. They will be given numerous opportunities to re-hydrate. Please send them with a full water jug every day! Ice may be helpful to keep the water cold and fresh.
- Section Shorts
- Shorts are colored by section and will be available in the Band Spirit Store prior to the start of regular Band Camp. Please get at least 2-3 pairs. Section specific colored shorts are not required for Rookie Camp.
- Flutes: Black
- Clarinets: Blue
- Saxes: Purple
- Trumpets: Red
- Mellophones: Yellow
- Trombones and Baritones: Orange
- Tubas: Pink
- Percussion: Green
- Guard: Gray
- Dance: Determined by Coach
- Students will spend a lot of time in the sun. Please ensure they have appropriate sunscreen.
- SPF 30 or higher recommended.
- Sweat-proof/waterproof is more effective.
- 3 Ring Binder with sheet protectors
- All members will keep a binder with the music fundamentals packet, football music, and/or competition music. All materials will be available online to be printed at home and placed in the binder.
- Wire Music Stand
- Available at Madison Band Supply ($22)before camp or during
lunch the first day of camp.You may make arrangements to share with a member of your section during rehearsal and split the cost.
- Drill Dot Book
- Small spiral-bound notebook or set of index cards, 3-4″ on a string. Each card/sheet will eventually have the page number, drill coordinates, number of counts, measure numbers in music, any musical notes, and any visual notes/things to remember about that move.
Must be on a string so you can hang it around your neck.
- Athletic Shoes
- REQUIRED. No Chacos, Converse, loafers, sandals, etc. Must be an athletic shoe.
- Physical Conditioning
- Get outside and be active. Get acclimated to the summer weather and to being active in the heat. We will do physical training EVERY DAY during band camp. Do not let it catch you by surprise. You can prepare by walking, jogging, or hiking outside and doing pushups/burpees/planks.