Wind auditions consist of 3 components:
1) One octave major scales/arpeggios- You have one minute to attempt as many major scales/arpeggios as possible. You must state the name of the scale (your scale–NOT CONCERT PITCH) then play it. Please use the order (circle of 4ths) on the audition sheet. (60 points possible)
2) Etude sheet- Attempt as many variations as you are comfortable doing. You will receive points for each successful variation performed. Start with the “theme” and stop after the variation with which you are comfortable. (25 points possible)
3) Tone (10 points possible)
This audition serves as both your marching and concert audition for the full year (if applicable). You should plan to audition on your PRINCIPAL instrument (i.e. what you play during concert season). If you play a secondary instrument in marching band, please indicate on your audition form at the top when asked for “concert” and “marching” instrument choices. Also, be sure to indicate if you wish to be considered for football band, competition band, and/or a concert ensemble. This will help us in setting rosters for the upcoming year. Remember: Membership in competition marching band also ensures membership in football marching band as well.
Current BJHS students: You will not be allowed to audition if you have any outstanding fees or expenses. Please check Charms and/or email Nikki Sheehan (email@example.com) if you have a question regarding your balance.
How to Audition:
- Complete Online Registration. This form takes a few moments to load. Be patient. If you are a current Bob Jones Band 9th through 11th grader or a current Discovery band 8th grader, you will receive an email with the required password. You will not be permitted to audition if you have not completed online registration.
- Download, complete, sign as necessary, and bring the following form to your audition:
- Download and prepare 2021 Audition Music. Passwords will be sent via email.
- Sign up for an audition time.
- Physical Form– While you don’t need this to audition please be aware that all marching band members are required to get a physical by the first day of band camp (JULY 19). Use this form with your family doctor or attend the BJHS Athletics Physical Day (May 12- $15).
If you do not receive passwords via email or are a transfer student from another system, please fill out the contact form and passwords will be sent to you.
ALL COMPLETED FORMS AND MONEY ARE REQUIRED TO AUDITION!